2008 has been a year of reading for me. Don't get me wrong, I've always enjoyed a good book, but its seems to have become my new hobby this past year. Maybe it is just because I've been documenting what I read, not to mention I've joined a book club that keeps me reading a variety of books. I went with Dan to Barnes and Nobels yesterday and realized how much I enjoy book stores. While he was off searching for some med school book, I was browsing the New York Times Best Sellers. There are just too many things I've yet to read. So here's my recap of what I devoured this past year.
The Dark is Rising*
A Mango Shaped-Space
A Slow Walk Through the Gardens of Hell
The Painted Veil*
Everyday Parents Raising Great Kids
The Last Lecture
A Thousand Splendid Suns*
The Goose Girl*
44 Scotland Street
My Name is Asher Lev
Three Cups of Tea*
Twilight*
These is My Words*
The Scarlet Pimpernel*
The Lovely Bones
Anthem
You Can Be Happy No Matter What*
Ender's Game*
Silas Marner*
Pope Joan*
The Woman in White
(*I recommend it)
21's not bad, eh? That's almost 2 a month. I've been trying to decide which one would be my top recommendation for you to read in 2009 and I'm having the hardest time deciding which one. I've written up a few of my impressions on some of the books at goodreads.com. I've found goodreads to be a fun place to keep track of books I've read and books people recommend or I'm interested in. Previously it seemed like whenever I wanted a good book to read I'd think, and think of nothing. Then that led me to reading nothing at all. But now when I think that thought, I look at all the books on my "to-read" list I get super motivated. If anything, reading keeps me learning. As said in the words of Dr. Seuss, "The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." Or said more harshly by Confucius: "No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance."
So here are my top 5 recommendations, in no particular order, since I just can't decide on one.

"Through literacy you can begin to see the universe. Through music you can reach anybody. Between the two there is you, unstoppable." -Grace Slick. Happy reading!
Labels: everyday life, reflections